Monday, April 16, 2007

And I Raaaaan...

So, many places, around Thanksgiving, have a run which they call a Turkey Trot. That is not how we roll here. We have a Global War on Terrorism run, called a GWOT Trot. Plus, we add a chili cookoff to the festivities.

Given that we need to be at work, and that it is already getting really hot here, the run happened at 630am. This meant that the cookoff happened at 8am. Mmmm, nothing like spicy chili for breakfast. There were two running options- 5K (3.1 miles) and 10K (6.2). As is often the case, my mouth got me in trouble because either I challenged someone to do 10, or they did the same to me, or someone called me "chicken" but like I was saying, I opened my big mouth and it resulted in me running six miles.

I did not however get the shirt that I was supposed to because they ran out. So, they did not have shirts for the people that pre-registered, but they did for those that signed up that day. I think that makes the kind of sense that is non. This is why there are supposed to be TWO lines! Ah well, no big deal, I am supposed to get it sent to me in another week or two.

As for the run itself? Well, the highlight was probably the team of contractors who made "The Anna Nicole Smith Memorial Team" shirts. Hee. The lowlight was getting smoked by my 50-something Colonel, and by Jeff (who you may remember from football highlights) who has not run since getting here, yet still managed to pass me in the last quarter mile. I guess some people are meant to be runners, some are meant to hold out cups of water. Me? I will be at the next one holding out cups of hot coffee, because I am a jerk.

1 comment:

gochisholmsgo said...

That's a long run!

I would be bored with running that long and would require a coffee. So next time I decided to run a 10K, which incidentally will be never, feel free to hand me a cup of coffee!