Friday, July 13, 2007

So, what has changed?

1. We have a new main boss- the last one left pretty much the day that I came back on leave. Is this good or bad? I am not sure yet, but one of the first things he asked me is if I wanted to stick around for an extra year. I did the polite thing and did not laugh in his face.

2. We have Physical Training (PT) five times a week. At 5 am. In the interest of following along with the number five theme, I am going to take five fingers and a palm and smack whoever came up with this idea.

3. We have a mandatory work day of 0730-1930 every day except Sunday, which is 1400-1930. This? This I am fine with because I was already working those hours and more anyway. So, meh.

4. Lest you think this will all be complaints, I have some good news. Actually, it is great news. When I left, I was the only person in my whole shop. While I was gone, I got FIVE new people in. It is almost too wonderful for words. I am back to being the dumbest person in the place, but I guess that was true when I was here by myself too, huh?

5. It got HOT here. It is about 100 degrees most days. That is one thing, but it also causes the "100 Days of Wind" basically because the big bowl of the mountains acts like a convection oven so at about 11am, the wind starts blowing at at about 15 mph and just goes up from there. By 6 or so, the flagpoles are being bent nearly in half, and I even saw one of the flags get ripped right off of the line and take off towards Pakistan.

6. Remember General Order #1? The "no drinking, no sex" one? Well, it has been updated.

"Personnel are prohibited from entering the living space of the opposite sex, with the exception of personnel married to each other, unless for official military business. If entry is required for official military business, the door must remain open at all times.

Sex. Sexual relations in a deployed environment have a degrading effect of unit cohesion, morale, good order and discipline, and jeopardizes unit readiness as well as mission accomplishment. Therefore, sexual relations and intimate behavior between individuals not married to each other are prohibited."

Again, not something that changes my life, but I still find this to be very silly. Did they not watch Starship Troopers? That was the best army in the history of cinema!

6 comments:

Laura said...

Poor Afghani Karen.

Stine said...

you should organize a kite flyers club!

Courtney said...

Your trip home sounded wonderful - especially having that restaurant entirely to yourselves! How romantic!

Unknown said...

Intimate relations....intimate relations...the Army has once again surpassed itself, flying at ludicrous speed toward -- the idiot zone. Everything about being deployed is by definition...intimate - right, Pat? We get to bunk up a half an arms length from a guy/gal who snores so loudly our own mattress vibrates. We have communal eating facilities, communal fitness facilities, and communal bathing facilities (there's a nice touch). Why are they "communal"? Because they are "common" areas - shared by all. Why would we want all of this communal activity? To build a sense of fraternity or COMMUNITY within the larger group. To become INTIMATELY aware of our comrades, to act as a TEAM. But please, don't cross the line. You can sleep 6 inches from that guy or gal or eat a foot across from them or be expected TO SAVE THEIR LIVES OR PUT YOURS AT RISK TO SAVE THEIRS but DON'T, oh please DON'T get caught putting the wrong appendange into the completely wrong orifice because that is WRONG and BAD and might hurt the feeling of those high-ranking WANKERS who don't have an appendage in the first place. God knows, in the history of warfare, no one has ever had sex. Sorry, did I say sex. Bad boy, bad boy.

Steve said...

Intimate relations forbidden? Does that mean that the Humvee shop's closed again? Damn it!
Oh well, maybe you can still get with some other (non-US) army folks, and order some "Fragile." That's what we ended up having to do. Of course, the Mormon Militia wasn't all that fond of our doing that, seemed to go against their beliefs in what the Army wanted of us. Odd, tho, that our CSM joined us for a glass or two of Fragile.
Incidentally, in protest to 5 am PT, I stopped doing PT altogether for several years...

georgeconfused said...

Maybe their theory is that you'll be picking and choosing who you save. If you dislike everyone equally, you have to save anyone you can. But if you're like, oh, I have to save her, she's the only that puts out, then you're choosing favorites. However, if more people put out, then they increase their odds of being rescued by a heroic coworker. Personally, I think the army is going completely in the wrong direction on this one.